I made this last night for the family…everyone, including the dogs, absolutely loved it. In fact, the last of it mysteriously disappeared from the fridge over night 😀
Makes about 8 servings.
2 tbsp butter (or margarine)
3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 c. flour
1 1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. cream cheese
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
1 c. shredded cheddar (divided)
4 c. elbow macaroni
1/4 c. finely diced or dehydrated onion, red or green peppers, green peas, corn niblets, etc.
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cook the elbow macaroni in a large pot of boiling water until tender.
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a large fry pan then add the flour gradually, until the flour absorbs all the oil.
- Add the milk slowly, blending the flour/oil mixture in to thicken (this is my white sauce recipe:) Add more milk throughout the next steps if the sauce thickens too much.
- Add the cream cheese, stirring until it’s blended into the sauce. Once it’s blended, do the same with 3/4 c. of the shredded cheese, the parmesan, the veggies, and the salt and pepper.
- Once the macaroni is cooked, strain and pour it into a large sprayed/oiled casserole dish.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the macaroni and stir until nicely blended.
- Top with remaining 1/4 c. shredded cheese and bake until melted (about 15 mins).
- Allow to sit for about 5 mins to allow the casserole to set, then serve. YUMMY!